The amazing wildlife is another adventurous side of Sri Lanka which is why it is ranked among twenty five biodiversity hot spots in the world. The ultimate and extensive wildlife in Sri Lanka also makes the island attractive to various adventure seekers, wildlife photographers, nature enthusiastic and nature lovers; especially its national parks and sanctuaries. Did you know that Sri Lanka is home to;
- 91 species of mammals where 16 of the species are endemic!
- Over 440 bird species that includes 233 resident species out of which 26 are endemic
- 242 butterfly and 117 dragonfly species!
- 171 reptiles of which 98 species belong to the category of snakes, while the remaining belong to the categories of lizards, crocodiles and turtles. Altogether 101 are endemic!
- 106 amphibian species of which 90 are endemic!
- 82 species of fish!
- 3210 species of flowering plants where 916 species are endemic!
- Overall, about 22 percent of Sri Lanka’s amphibians, birds, mammals, and reptiles and 27 percent of plants are endemic!